Blood cannot be manufactured in factories; it can only come from generous donors. To cater to this demand, BloodConnect was launched on 1st April, 2010 (as a project under NSS IIT Delhi) with an unparalleled objective of solving the problem of blood shortage in India.
According to WHO data, India faces a shortage of 3 million blood units. This shortage can easily be eliminated if only an additional 2% of India’s youth donates blood. To make this possible, BloodConnect acts as a channel connecting voluntary blood donors with those who need blood. It is a youth-run organization and provides free help and specially works to target the poor and the needy.
Since its inception, the organization has grown a lot in terms of working for this cause. BloodConnect has developed a 360 degree solution to the problem of blood shortage. The model revolves around 4 focal points:
- Ensuring continuous, sufficient blood supply to blood banks through blood donation camps and weekly donations
- Improving awareness by organizing Street Plays, Info-Talks, Competitions
- Helping those in dire need by operating an emergency 24×7 helpline
- Establishing a network of youth across the country to lead the movement
Mission: To be a 360-degree solution provider to the problem of blood shortage in India
Vision: To solve the problem of blood shortage in India in our lifetime
What makes us different from others?
- We save lives: Each unit of blood collected can save 3-4 lives
- We help the poor and the needy: We organize camps mainly with govt. blood banks which cater to the poor
- We help for free- always: We provide helpline support for free for 24 hours daily, 365 days a year
- We provide a complete solution: We provide a 360 degree solution to the problem (camps, awareness, helpline)
- We innovate camps by making them theme-based, using social media and by dis-incentivizing donation, making it voluntary